12.12.12

English newspaper, anyone?

This is annoying.

In Den Haag, there are English newspapers like The Underground that I can write for, but apparently there's no equivalent in Rotterdam. Rotterdam has so much happening, and it's a shame there doesn't seem to be any representative base for it.

A few weeks ago there was hype and hubbub with the arrival of Sinterklaas in Delfshaven - some of those who couldn't make it to the harbour were lucky enough to see him riding down the street in their neighborhoods! This coming Saturday there's a 'Rue des Crêpes Noël' (Christmas Crepes Street) in the city, on the appropriately named 'Pancake Street.' Apparently Rotterdam has been dubbed the 'Festival City of the World' - if that's true, where are all the English media/journalism offices and are there any jobs covering these fascinating happenings?

This week I'm busy networking with various organisations - Mercy Ships and VluchtelingenWerk (RefugeeWork), among others. Both are doing excellent work in the nonprofit sphere, but they don't get a lot of media attention. This afternoon, I'm off to 'Spirit of the City,' an event hosted by Platform L&R here in Rotterdam. There are music, workshops and a borreltje planned, and talks by leaders from the platform, promoting city networking and cooperation between religions. I found out about the CDA event through my fellow networkers at RoSA! (Rotterdamse Sociale Alliantie). Hans Goosen and the others at RoSA! have hosted several events over the last few months that I've been privileged to film. While my passion is photojournalism, a liking for all the networking and social circles has crept up on me too. There's something very cool about being in contact with the movers and shakers in this region, and then being able to provide something useful like photos or videos for the events instead of just attend.

I'm off to tuck my camera in my bag and watch the news as it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment